Having impressed the council with our response to their invitation to tender, Influential was chosen to deliver the project.
We proposed rebuilding the SWIMS weather reporting software in .NET and hosting it in Microsoft Azure. With Azure’s fully maintained and scalable cloud services, this would ensure long-term value for the software.
Overall, the weather reporting system had the following features:
- data entry with fields such as text, numbers, dropdown lists, and check boxes
- data analysis allowing users to produce custom reports based on their roles
- the ability to easily export data in .xlsx, .docx and .pdf formats
At the same time, the system had to reflect the council’s administrative structure (from high to low): county, organisation, and service. Each of these levels was reflected in a different user type with different permissions in the software:
- administrator: can send out county-wide notifications, run reports on system usage, and edit the categories users select
- enhanced user: can access and report on data within their organisation, and delete users in line with GDPR legislation
- standard user: can only access data within and run reports about their service
Furthermore, the solution had to comply with EU and UK data hosting standards, as well as being secure and password-protected.
Our software engineers delivered the project according to the agile development methodology. This meant meeting with the client regularly to get feedback to incorporate into the next “sprint” of work. Using Jira project management tools, we let the council’s stakeholders track our work in real time. This approach ensured that we used our time effectively and were able to make any desired adjustments.
Overall, some core features of the development work were:
- database development
- security, access, and permissions development
- event creation
- enquiry and maintenance screens development
- UI development and improvement based on user feedback
- dashboard development
- report development
- data extract controls development